Vay-cay

Over Spring Break last week, I had the chance to vacation in the luxiourious splendor of the greater San Antonio area. It was a true week of pampering. Minus the small, tiny detail that I was sharing my vacation with 12 children ages 1-16. No big d for this socialite, I've always preferred the kinds of vacations where you need to ask, "What is your discount price for children under 10, we have 6 of them?" Nothing like choosing restaurants based on how noisy they are, or spending a rainy afternoon in a spore-infested jump castle. Ah, the sweet life.

I will admit that toting along children has some serious benefits for those of us a little nostalgic for our adolescence. Looks like the only movie we can see that's appropriate for all ages is, "Hannah Montana: The Movie." Bummer. But not really (guilty smile), because if I could go back in time to any age, it would most likely be 14. Back when waiting for Seventeen Magazine to arrive in the mail seemed "so adult." On this trip, we got to eat at multiple restaurants whose specialty is the cheeseburger, go on a rather elaborate Easter Egg Hunt, eat candy from all 12 children's Easter baskets, and hit up a theme park.

Hmm, theme parks. I'll admit that there is something about walking through those oversized entrance gates that fills the heart with excitement and wonderment. Yet, at the end of the day as you pass back through the same gate, you can barely muster up any feeling other than a headache and pure exhaustion. I'm not exactly sure how this happens, but I was saddened during last week's trip to Sea World: San Antonio when I came to the realization that rides make me sick. I couldn't believe it. It's been coming on for some time. After a monumental trip to Lagoon last year, I pinpointed my illness to the mix of theme park roller coasters and carnival rides. But alas, after one jolt on the "Great White" last week, my head was spinning. What a disappointment. Turns out, all I could really enjoy were the animals. Alright.

The sea life at Sea World is pretty amazing. It was cute to watch my two-year old niece Bella see some of these creatures for the first time. During the whale show, she kept calling out "Whale," as if she was even surprise she could say it. However, during the whale show things took a turn for the weird. It was all fine and dandy as Summer, a Marine Biologist/amateur actress, dressed in an orca-striped wet suit, shared her story of living her dream to work with Killer Whales. Every 11-year-old girl in the audience was right there with her. Sadly, I found myself even more amazed by the trainer's ability to do swan dives off of Shamu's nose than Shamu coating the first 16 rows in salt water from a tail flip. But, it wasn't until the music turned to a slightly slower, and more Romantic Enya-esque tune that I now felt that I was watching a love scene between trainer and whale. Echoed by words on a projector telling us to "BELIEVE!" Believe in what exactly? That human and creature can share a life together in and out of the ocean? Frankly, I was confused.

All in all, it was a great trip. However, as I returned back home to my childless existence, I wasn't thinking that the singularity of my singleness was such a sad story. Sorry marrieds.

6 Response to Vay-cay

April 23, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Believe is a confusing theme. I was thinking the same thing in Florida a year ago. It's not like the whale is Santa Clause right?! As far as coming home and being relieved that you're single and away from the kids. I'm telling Luke.

P.S. I've been meaning to have Luke write you a thank you card for the sweet stack of books you gave him, but my big fat pregnant behind hasn't done it. They are his favorite thing at bedtime right now. You're the best!

kp
April 23, 2009 at 8:57 PM

hey Chelsey, just found your blog. Yeah, I realized I was getting old when I no longer wanted to spin the tea cups at Disneyland for fear of losing my lunch!

Em
April 23, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Chelsey- I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago at Disneyworld, with my 5 nieces and nephews. Although I didn't get to experience human/orca relations in an odd way...I did realize that rides now make me sick and being single isn't bad at all! The joy of silence! :)

April 24, 2009 at 8:34 AM

amusement park rides make you sick now? what's next- classic skating will give you vertigo? you'll be too mature for laser tagging? blisters from nickelcade? please chels- next thing i know you'll be choosing a boring movie with a boy over a dance party at liz's cabin. not okay.

busting moves with a bunch of other single girls at wedding reception dance parties with no male prospects around is where we belong.

April 24, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I have to admit I enjoyed the Hannah Montana movie as well! What has my life turned into? We do owe Courtney a great deal of gratitude for letting us find shelter under her sweater from the wave of water at the Believe show! Where was that shelter though on the boat when the tsunami hit me??

April 25, 2009 at 10:13 PM

oh my. vacations with the kids are fun but...let's face it, it's exhausting and at times miserable. oh and as for theme parks, a few years ago me, michelley & todd bailed from the family and went to knott's berry farm. we all kept blacking out until we were reduced to simply watching teen couples enjoy their pda on rides we dominated as kids. the sorrows of growing up.

 

Copyright © 2009 Why my life is better than yours. All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes