25 Going On 15


It's time for some self-reflection, I've never been above that. Recently, it has become overwhelmingly apparent that I frequent the same hangouts as many of my high school counterparts. Some of these are mere flukes, going to Chili's on a Friday night (everyone needs molten chocolate cake from time to time), or going to a movie at the local megaplex (teenagers do not have a monopoly on the heart of American culture). But, in the past few weeks I've been running into high school kids all the time. This has made me ponder whether these are mere coincidences, or if I like a Lost Boy, "don't wanna grow up?"


***Please note that in the following experiences, I was never on a date, but the students I ran into, always were.


Run-in numero uno (Spanish):

The Nickelcade: I love this place. It offers every game I was ever pretty good at before games became 3 dimensional and required a newly evolutionized stem cell that controls all things Nintendo. I can play Ms. Pacman, or Mortal Kombat 3, and throw in some Skee Ball for kicks. Good old fashioned fun. Place some emphasis on the word "old," please. But no, it turns out that any era of gaming can appeal to a teen. Hence, a few weeks ago, I ran into a group of them on, of course, a date.


Run-in numero dos:

Classic Skating: Since I didn't grow up in the greater Provo area, I've always associated this place as being a college hang out. A place for us all to put on some skates from our youth and get a good laugh out of how well we still skate. Of course, this is because we've gone more times then admitted since childhood. We wouldn't go if we looked like Bambi on ice. However, a couple weekends ago, I showed up to "Classic," as we call it, for some Disco skating. I am still paying thanks in my nightly prayers that I did not dress up for the Disco theme. That fact alone would have made this whole experience rather mortifying. However, as soon as we stood in line (about a 20 minute wait), a couple of old students came and stood behind us. I decided to make the interaction as awkward as possible by saying, "Teenagers!" They began calling me Miss Collins, which was very exciting to my friends, who then asked a few embarrassing questions, until finally the girls realized that their group of more former students was standing in front of us, and moved to be in a more comforatable situation. Of course, the icing on the cake for my friends was a comment made by one of the boys in front of us. Luckily, I did not hear this myself, because scolding would have certainly ensued. But what was heard was, "Holy S***, it's f******, Miss Collins." I'm pretty sure my honor was defamed in that sentence, I'm still deciphering it's exact meaning.


Run-in numero tres:

Laser Assault: This is something I have loved for a very long time. Like jumping on a trampoline, I thought its enjoyment would have faded over time, but alas it has not. Instead, I have grown more competive with age. So, here's the scene. We were sitting at the seedy Laser Assault in South Provo, awaiting our tutorial, by someone who is clueless to the fact that working at this place is far worse than actually playing at this place. After a few nervous jokes from our guide, a group of students comes walking through having just finished a round themselves. They were sweaty from an exhausting game of assault, but that did not blur their vision from recognizing their old teacher. I played it pretty cool, but all was made awkward as the students were walking out and one of my friends yelled, "That's truancy school for all of you!" Apparently, my being a teacher is a real novelty to everyone else my age.


Reflection:

Am I too old to be hanging at these kinds of establishments? Is there an unwritten rule that as a single person, you can frequent the haunts of childhood? Who should be more embarrassed? Me or the kids?

6 Response to 25 Going On 15

March 26, 2009 at 8:13 AM

I think the teenagers are far too young to be hanging out at such swanky joints. They should stay at home and watch T.G.I.F. or knit some mittens. That's how I breezed through adolescence.

March 26, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Well, as I was reading your blog, Luke happened to walk by and ask for the laser gun the boy was wearing in your picture for his birthday. I think it's still cool, but could you take my kids with you next time you go? They would love it!!!

March 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Get a life!

March 27, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Don't listen to cassie.. I would hardly call being gothic as breezing through adolescence. Anyways, I say keep on keepin on. Just because you rock the skates, dominate ms. pacman, and make jack baeur look like a sissy during laser tag, doesn't mean your childish. In fact, it means your cool, hip, with-it, etc. So what if your students do it too.. that just means you are the cool teacher, and we all know EVERYONE wants to be the cool teacher.

p.s. you coming to the dance party this saturday night? I thought so.

March 30, 2009 at 9:00 PM

the kids, for sure. what will they be doing at age 25, having kids? please.

April 2, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Chelsea! I just came across your blog! You are just as funny as I remembered!

Glad to see you are doing well. I heard you met my friend Micah, small world!

You look awesome girlie! XOXO

 

Copyright © 2009 Why my life is better than yours. All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes