TV teachers make me uncomfortable


Most of you have the pleasure of watching fictional teachers on screen and getting a good laugh. Unfortunately for me, the gnawing self-awareness that the media brings to my profession is often unbearable. Not because they got it all wrong, rather they got it just right. Uhhh. Many high-school-centered shows know that a good laugh is a given if it pokes fun at a teacher. Another sigh. I generally find myself letting out a nervous giggle/snort as they depict a frustrated teacher jumping to reach a projector screen that has been recoiled above their grasp. Or, as the interested and busy English teacher battles her bra-strap in a rather pathetic way.


For me, I'm sent questioning each day, "Is this something that my students can relate to an episode from the WB?" When a student tries to get me to date the thrice divorced Math teacher, is this just another Miss Geist/Mr. Hall moment from "Clueless?" Do I appear lonely and stuck in a rather rigid grading scale in need of a relationship? Is this what my 50 in. flat screen is telling me (yep)?


At the end of the day, I wander to the movies like any other single professional. Of course, while I'm there, I will in no doubt be greeted by a group of 9th grade mall rats. They say hi and we chat for a moment about how this is their 7th time seeing "Twilight." I feel cool, I feel with it. (Because I said "with it," does that cancel out my coolness?? I digress.) However, as confident as I feel about that interaction, I can't help but think, "Was their sighting me outside of school like watching a dog walk on its hind legs?"


Ruff, ruff.

4 Response to TV teachers make me uncomfortable

January 13, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Or maybe seeing you at the mall is more like seeing an Apostle at a BYU basketball game. :)

January 13, 2009 at 1:31 PM

You're absolutely right Tracie. Maybe it is more like a star sighting.

January 15, 2009 at 1:15 PM

As a kid I always felt like I was doing something wrong when I saw a teacher outside of class, like staring at someone's infirmity...

I feel your pain, though, Chelsey. Imagine the stereotypes that exist for accounting professors! Oh, and I see my students outside of class all the time. Usually (and thankfully) they pretend they don't know who I am.

January 17, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I know it's different...but still awkward running into your college students at the Salsa club...and then having to dance with them! Ugh...

But I know you're definitely one of the "cool" teachers...the truly nerdy one's don't have any doubt in their mind...they just assume they are cool

 

Copyright © 2009 Why my life is better than yours. All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes