Mom's House

This post is dedicated to my sister Lacy, who has been judging my mother since birth.

I love my mom. She's the best. She's pretty, which was oddly very important to me as a 1st grader. She's funny, which I realized as a teenager. i.e. Yesterday my sister and I spied the following quote from a conversation between my mom and her best friend via facebook (I'm dealing with the fact that she's on facebook), "No, I didn't fall off the map . . . just down the stairs" Ha. That's funny because she really did fall down the stairs during Christmas. So, the point is, I have a good mom. The following does not pertain to her abilities in that area.

My mother is a widow. Unlike the widows on my street (there are lots), she does not have any pets, and she certainly doesn't participate in neighborhood gossip, but in all honesty her house is weird. I guess the question for me is, when did it get so weird? Was I a child when this started happening or has her solitude brought on this idiosynchratic lifestyle? I think it's a little of both.

She keeps things.
I know all mothers are collectors in their own right. I am not bothered by the pictures of me as a child framed at every corner. . .I was adorable. Rather, there are artifacts left around from childhood that are now no longer usuable. The garage is full of Cabbage Patch dolls stuffed in garbage sacks. Most of them however, did not belong to her seven children, instead they were purchased by my aunt at garage sales and thrift stores in my teens. These ownerless dolls are now taking on the smell that only an abandoned naked toy can.

The other day, I picked up a magazine in her bathroom. A magazine in which I have the contents memorized. Not because I am thoroughly interested in "Country Living," but because it's been there forever. How long you say? February 1995.
She doesn't hang everything.
The house is cluttered with pictures. That's fine, that's her life. Of course, it is a little bothersome walking up the stairs, only to see a picture framed at the height of your ankle. Or, while turning on a light switch, inevitably knocking down another picture. But, at least it's hung. At the same time, every room is still full of pictures, in frames propped against walls or lying on a bench in the kitchen. This is such a problem that a few years ago at Christmas time, a plea was made among her children that no one give her anything that needs wall space. Like an intervention for a heroin addict, we can no longer be enablers.
She buys discount.
Now this is not a new behavior. Every year, we went back-to-school shopping at the Goodwill or other thrift stores. In recent years, my mom has turned to other kinds of discount shopping. Currently, her mecca is the local Big Lots. What a great store? Unfortunately it causes her to buy things that really should never be purchased. Quickly expiring cereal written in Japanese. DVDs that never reached theatres or Blockbuster. Popular candy, with an unpopular flavoring. i.e. bags of only Coffee-flavored Jelly Bellys. A real treat for the grandkids.

At the moment, she is obsessed with Pottery Barn items engraved with names of other people's children. The Down East Outfitters located near her house is the culprit. Recently they have been selling items that were created for someone else, but somehow were never picked up. The prayer stool by her bed reads, "Landon." The robe in her closet belongs to "Claudia." "Mariah" and "Madison" are certainly missing their Christmas stockings. None of the aforementioned names belongs to anyone in our family.

Truly, the list goes on. For now, I will leave it at that. The question is, do all mom's have quirky homes? Is my mom the only one draping sheepskins on the back of her couch? Will I one day inherit these peculiar aspects in my life? Am I already becoming this person?

9 Response to Mom's House

January 27, 2009 at 10:50 AM

My favorite is the monogrammed items with other people's names. That is too funny.

My mom is kinda the opposite-- she doesn't keep anything and is always throwing things away. Sometimes things that she shouldn't.

January 27, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Loved your post. Your mom is so loveable.

My mother has rooms that are "off limits." Especially if she just vaccumed. It is dang annoying when the only short-cut to your room has been removed.

January 27, 2009 at 7:35 PM

We have some towels and sheets with other people's name on them, thanks to your kind mother. You did a great job of completely nailing your mother. I haven't laughed so hard in a very long time. But I am nervous about what my girls will write about me!

liz
January 28, 2009 at 9:24 AM

you have a gift, dear chelsey. and not only that we have a lot in common. not only are our childhood memories similar but your adult-hood memories are eerily familiar.
miss your.

January 29, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Liz, I think the common thread is: Youngest of old, poor parents. I should mention that on one of the Back-to-school shopping excursions in 10th grade, I developed a rare case of Scarlett Fever. I was informed that there is no incubation time for this particular 19th century illness, so I indeed did contract it while at the second-hand store.

February 3, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Love it, love it!! If I end up anything like my mother and grandma I'm destined to buy a red coat, wear night gowns, ALWAYS wear thongs (flip-flops) in the house, and have an intolerance for any type of heat. My house shall be kept at a cool 68 degrees year round. The sound of the vacuum cleaner will calm my frenzied heart and I shall not let my hair go gray!

February 3, 2009 at 3:39 PM

um, that last comment was by me...I logged in from our joint research account.

February 4, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Hahaha I need to meet this woman! I've forbidden my mother from joining facebook...i think she may feel bad but I just can't let that happen. What's up with the middle ageds invading our stomping ground? Did I just use the words stompin ground? Um p.s. thank you for the link to stuff white people like. One of my favorites :) My favorite part was:

Sadly, the people who find these stories interesting are other white people who are politely listening until they can tell their own, more interesting story about taking a year off.

SO TRUE. so sad. whatever...

Em
February 23, 2009 at 8:38 AM

oh my gosh Chelsey. Your blog is hilarious. I am here at school during my prep reading your blog. Please write a book. Your writing is the bomb.com.

em!

 

Copyright © 2009 Why my life is better than yours. All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes