HBD NBD

So, I'm looking into getting a tutor.  Obviously not for anything truly academic, since I try very hard to not really think anymore.  Well, at least this week, as all of my old co-workers (suckers) head back to school using all of their "thinking" power to make bulletin boards, design hall passes, and work on classroom speeches that will both scare children/teenagers and make them love you all at the same time (tough stuff).  In fact, this is my first time since age five that I haven't had a first day of school.  No one took a picture of me this morning, weird.  Anyway, I digress, I really need a tutor.  Why?  So, I can understand what most people post on facebook without using a dictionary. . . no, let's get real, google (Urban Dictionary).  It's like pager code all over again (143).

Yeah, the truth of the matter is that a couple years ago, someone posted what is the title to this post (HBD NBD, in case you don't want to move your eyes) to my facebook on my birthday.  After a couple hours of moderate thinking (I do have a life) and some contextual clues (it was my birthday afterall) I realized that this "friend" had written, "Happy birthday, no big deal."  I really think that if they had written out that entire sentence, they would have hit the Delete button a la Tom Hanks in "You've Got Mail."  But, I guess the cuteness of rhyming? made them use poor judgement.

I'm woman enough to also admit that a few months ago, I googled "YOLO."  In complete honesty, I really thought that most people who wrote that were big fans of Yolo County, California, not far from where I grew up.  I thought about hash tagging "Solano," the name of my home county.   I also thought this was a funny acronym since I'm pretty sure it gives most teens and overgrown teens an excuse to do something dangerous or stupid, do they really need a catch-phrase?  Frankly, for the past ten years my motto has been YODO (You Only Die Once).  This has kept me from doing all kinds of "fun" things, like sky diving, eating food that was poorly prepared, driving fast, taking unflattering pictures, you get the point.  However, I was more than amused last week when I saw a T-shirt in Yellowstone that said, "YOLOstone."  I can't help but be a sucker for word play.

So, I want you to be honest, and tell me if there's ever been a phrase that you didn't understand right away that made you feel old.  Speaking of old, I turned twenty-nine on Saturday. HBD NBD.  



Summer's pretty hip/thug, maybe she can be my tutor.

8 Response to HBD NBD

August 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Tons of them. They come mostly from parenting message boards. EBF (exclusively breast feed), EFF (exclusively formula feed), RF and FF (rear and forward facing (car seat)), CIO (cry it out), POAS (pee on a stick...seriously), FTM (first time mom). The list goes on and on!!

August 21, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I googled "YOLO" too. I kept seeing it pop up in hashtag form all over everybody's instagrams/facebooks. I feel like I could have come up with that stupid acronym. Or better.

August 21, 2012 at 8:14 PM

TL; DR. JK, Love your blog and your baby.

August 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Seriously a few weeks ago I had to google LMAO then I also came to undderstand what the band LMFAO's real name was, naughty boys.

August 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Ughh I once received an email that was written in all acronyms and felt like I needed Little Orphan Annie's decoder to decipher it all out.

Em
August 24, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Oh how I have missed your blog! I too looked up YOLO, but I now totally love your idea instead...YODO!!!!

August 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I just barely learned what the less than sign and number 3 next to each other means. duh.

August 30, 2012 at 7:26 AM

I have no idea what LMAO mean or YOLO. In fact, it took me a good day of deep thought to figure out what HBD and NBD meant. Is this a language that is finally going to determine that I am no longer young? I feel like mom right now.

 

Copyright © 2009 Why my life is better than yours. All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes